In light of the WSJ article and the items they chose for a capsule wardrobe, I thought I would follow suit with my take. If you’re trying to wean down your wardrobe and eliminate excess, you want to make sure what you keep or want to acquire are pieces that are well-made (so they last, see my last post on buying for longevity), versatile (so key), and are a combination of modern and timeless (like those shown here).
Creating a capsule wardrobe is pretty much the same exercise as writing down your ultimate packing list (which is how I like to begin organizing someone’s closet and wardrobe). I have versions of many of the items on this page, and wear them often and in different ways. Can you live solely on a capsule wardrobe this tightly edited? You could. I am somewhat of a minimalist but not at all that strict. Below are combos of how I would wear the above. It’s a great exercise to do with your own clothing. Think of different ways to pair things together. Also, if you feel like you have a lot of mismatched pieces in your wardrobe that don’t work well together, it might be time to make a list of the core pieces you’re missing and make a plan on how to add them (it can take time). Sure, all the pieces here are designer, but there are also affordable options for each. However, I do not believe in fast fashion. You should always buy less and buy better, whatever your “better” budget may be.
Outfits: Hoops at all times and a bag when needed
- Coat + white shirt + black sweater + jeans + boots
- Coat + brown sweater + black turtleneck + jeans + boots
- Coat + black sweater + sweatpants + sneakers
- Coat + dress + brown sweater + boots
- Dress + slides + black sweater worn as scarf (night at home)
- Blue blouse + jeans + slides
- Black turtleneck + white shirt + jeans + boots (tuck it in and belted or with black sweater as a jacket over all)
- Brown sweater + jeans + sneakers
- Dress + turtleneck (underneath) + boots + coat
Maxmara coat, $2950; Khaite boots, $1460; Richer Poorer sweatpants, $76; Toteme jeans, $280; Khaite dress, $980; Khaite sweater, $1380; Nili Lotan sweater, $950; Toteme slides, $550; Bottega Veneta white shirt, $890; Another Tomorrow blue blouse, $560; Nike sneakers, $90; Chanel bag, $6800; Frances de Lourdes turtleneck, $340; Otiumberg, $195.