Heidi Wynne makes the kind of classic essential elements many of us need (and rely on) every season, in summer, that means a simple cashmere wrap, an easy linen summer dress and a go-with-everything straw hat and bag. I was excited when she agreed to collaborate with me this summer, the result being the sisal Morgan bag with a row of natural cowrie shells (you can’t imagine how many shells I have at home) and black leather handles made by female artisans in Kenya. Here, Heidi shares her summer essentials.
- My summer beauty musts include Costa Brazil Óleo Para O Corpo Kaya Jungle Firming Body Oil, Aesop Ressurection Aeromatic Hand Balm, HERMÈS Rouge Hermès, Matte lipstick in Beige Natural, and the Westman Atelier Light Up Highlight Stick from Knockout Beauty
2. I recently purchased a juicer and have been making a cold carrot, beet and ginger juice. I also love homemade iced green tea with honey during the hot summer months.
3. My summer reading list includes The Engagement by Sasha Issenberg, who is an old friend and author of The Sushi Economy; Faulkner House Books in New Orleans sent me The Man in the Red Coat, by Julian Fellows. One of my favorite cookbooks is Mimi Thorisson’s Old World Italian so I just purchased her earlier books, A Kitchen in France: A Year of Cooking in my Farmhouse and French Country Cooking: Meals and Moments from a Village in the Vineyards: A Cookbook.
4. Real Destination: East Hampton. Last year was the first summer in ages that I didn’t visit the Hamptons and I have been looking forward to at least one long weekend this July or August. I plan to visit BookHampton, Le Bilboquet in Sag Harbor, Sunset Beach on Shelter Island and I enjoy wandering around the shops in Amagansett. Will definitely visit Knockout Beauty in Bridgehampton and go for a swim or take a walk at dusk along Main Beach in East Hampton.
5. Dream Destination: Tuscany. Stacie Flinner and Sarah Flint, founder of the footwear line Sarah Flint, recently visited Tuscany (where they each wore my Brigitte Dress). Their photos were incredible and have me longing for a trip there. I also want to visit family in London, Dublin and Belfast. However, I bought a country house in the Hudson Valley that needs a lot of work so this summer is dedicated to getting it into shape. Sadly, no European vacations in the immediate future.
6. This summer I will carry the Morgan bag, our custom collaboration, with my Brigitte Chambray dress and AERA New York Raffaella Slides (so comfortable!). I also love the Morgan bag with denim and a white cotton button down shirt.
7. I always carry a cashmere wrap during the summer as it tends to get chilly at night or even indoors with air conditioning. My Bela Wrap is a nice, medium weight wrap for summer and the Claudia is an even lighter weight option. The Montauk Hat, sustainably made of rafia, is my go-to every day summer hat. I am a huge fan of Kendall Conrad’s collection and recently purchased gold hoops and a brass cuff which I will wear all summer long into fall.
8. Summer Inspiration: Jackie Kennedy in Ravello is always an inspiration however I recently discovered Gabriella Crespi and just love her cool, Milanese style. A large straw hat and linen kaftan with little to no makeup and an inner confidence- she was so chic!
9. Having recently moved to the Hudson Valley, a favorite activity is to get in the car with the dogs and explore the area. I have friends in Millbrook and plan to visit for the next Flair Summer trunk show at Alicia Adams and also check out the new Creel and Gow and Orangerie. I’ve been meaning to check out The Maker Hotel in Hudson and everyone raves about Gaskins in Germantown for dinner. There is so much to do and explore, I don’t know where to start. I love going for a run along the Ashokan Reservoir or the Esopus Canal. There is a trail in Stone Ridge that the dogs enjoy however I think my ultimate favorite summer activity will be lounging by my friend’s pool near Rhinebeck in my St Tropez Hat and my navy Marissa bikini from Elizabeth Hurley Beach I just purchased. I expect to look exactly like Elizabeth Hurley in it (kidding!) A good book, sunscreen, a swim, close friends and cold Pellegrino on a hazy afternoon- that is my idea of a perfect summer day.
10. Charitable Cause: I think the past year, more than ever, has made me realize the importance of being philanthropic. Our mutual friend Ann Caruso, who is a cancer survivor, works with Estee Lauder and BCRF, the Breast Cancer Research Foundation, which I plan to support as it is such an important cause.