If you are lucky enough to have an invitation to stay with a friend, attend a celebration or even intimate dinner this month, here are some hostess gift ideas that are better than a bottle of wine. I think the best gifts are ones that are thoughtful and indulgent (which does not mean pricey)–the kind of things that would be fun to have, but you wouldn’t necessarily buy for yourself. Here, some ideas.
- A Scented Candle with a Reusable Container. Tom Dixon marble candle, $110. Scented candles have almost worn out their welcome as hostess gifts, except I still think there is still a place for ones in beautiful containers which can be reused to hold flowers, makeup brushes, etc.
- The Meadow Chocolate of the Month Club, $105 for 3 months. For true chocoholics. Three months (or more) of dark chocolate bars from outstanding chocolate makers around the globe. First batch limited-edition bars often included.
- Susanne Kaufmann Essential Bath Oil for the Senses, $76. Bath oil is the kind of thing I love, but never buy for myself. This one not only smells beautiful, it’s elegant packaging makes you want to leave it out near your tub.
- Coffee Table Books. This is the kind of gift I would suggest for those hostesses that you know rather well—or at least enough to have an idea if they love home decor, art, music, fashion, and books in general. Then the more specific you can get in capturing their taste, the better. Of course, there are those of us who love it all. What I would give a decor-obsessed friend? How They Decorated, or if they’re minimalists, Ornament Is a Crime: Modernist Architecture.
- Nordur Icelandic Sea Salt, $25 (for 2 pack). Because you can never have too much salt. And the packaging! Unless your hostess has never turned on her stove, then go back to option #1.
Leave a Reply