Things I’m doing, seeing and going down a rabbit hole with this weekend (although not really because I am in major scramble mode getting together Monday’s trunk show, but I had to post something this week and these things are on my mind.)
- I cannot wait to see the Halston series on Netflix. I would happily wear his designs and a lot of Elsa Peretti jewelry today. Plus, I have a certain nostalgia for designers back then who surrounded themselves with creative people who helped fuel each other’s work (sure others do it today, but it doesn’t feel the same; maybe I’m jaded or just old). Between the dilution of his brand, the cocaine and his death from AIDS, his story is also a cautionary tale.
- If I could, I would wear my hair in a bun all summer secured with one of Deborah Pagani’s beautiful hair pins. I watched part of Knockout Beauty’s How To IG video with Deborah and had hair envy. My hair is still too short, plus my hair strands are thick and very straight which means pins never stand a chance. If you can wear a pin like this, I say splurge!
- My next museum trip will be to the Whitney to see Dawoud Bey’s photography exhibit: An American Project. Bey is a photographer who covers underrepresented communities and histories. I know nothing about his work and I always look forward to learning something new.
- Two summer beauty mainstays I rely on, which will now actually see the light of day since I won’t always be hiding behind a mask are Kjaer Weis’s Cream Glow products in Lustrous (the bronzer) and Radiance (the highlighter). Kjaer Weis products are truly organic (not everything is) and you can buy refills that either fit into their gorgeous silver-colored sliding compacts or their chic red paper holders they now offer for the truly eco-conscious. I’ve been using these in tandem for years and have no plans on switching them because they work. (And, I did a podcast with Kirsten a while back you can find here.)
- It’s daiquiri time! Besides a Negroni, one of my favorite summer drinks is a classic lime daiquiri. They are kind of old-fashioned, but so good on a hot day, which seems to be happening a lot here in NYC. Plus it’s a no-brainer–2 oz. light rum, 1 oz. + 1 tsp. fresh lime juice, 1/2 oz. simple syrup. Cheers!