With my family coming to visit for the holidays and my daughter home after her first four months at college, I want nothing more than to spend time reading, going to the movies and wondering around the city. On my To Do List…..
- See Lady Bird, Greta Gerwig’s movie starring Saoirse Ronan. My daughter in college, who dislikes going to movie theaters, loved it so much she wants to go again. I enjoyed Greta’s movie, Frances Ha, so am looking forward to seeing her latest.
- Read/See Call Me by Your Name, a film by Luca Guadagnino based on a novel by André Aciman. I imagine the movie to be a gorgeous visual journey like Guadagnino’s I Am Love was. I also want to read the book—though I am not sure it will happen before I see it onscreen.
- Revisit Nigerian-born artist Toyin Ojih Odutola‘s exhibit at the Whitney Museum. Her use of color and pattern is mesmerizing and I want my daughters to see her work. Then when one of the Whitney’s Trustee’s (and former TFI profile), Brooke Garber Neidich, pointed out one of Toyin’s Instagram posts about growing up in Alabama, I fell in love even more.
- Read You Don’t Look Your Age…and Other Fairy Tales by the queen of HBO documentaries, Sheila Nevins. I read her recent profile in the NY Times and am slightly obsessed. It would seem, after reading her interview, that if you like unsubtle butt-kicking inspiration, Sheila is your woman. Humor + little tough-love advice? I’m in.
- See Meryl Streep in The Post. Yes, I wrote about it already, but…..I Can’t Wait.
portrait of Sheila (center) courtesy NY Times
Leave a Reply