To me, summer is a time to really slow down and spend as much time outdoors as possible, whether it’s hiking or going to the beach, or sitting in my backyard reading or daydreaming. I excel at doing nothing for long periods of time, really zen-ing (or zoning) out. Here, my summer essentials….
1) A black maillot and bikini. Always Eres, but now I’ve added suits from Sara Cristina. Usually a blue shirt worn on top as a cover up, like this vintage piece I bought recently in California (see below).
2) Speaking of vintage, I’m still not giving up my vintage Levi denim shorts, which I either pair with a t-shirt or sweatshirt that usually have a summer theme–found either on Etsy (like this vintage Maui t-shirt) or that I pick up from California surf shops when I visit my sister.
3) A hat with a wide brim is a necessity and this one from Heidi Wynne is great because it feels rather indestructible which means I can travel with it.
4) I wear more jewelry in the summer, mostly gold. My most recent gift to myself is a bangle engraved with my birth date from friend Kim Dunham, it’s so simple and elegant, I hardly take it off. I also collect Dezso by my friend Sara Beltran. Each year, I add a new charm and this year I got my first puka. (It is dangerous having talented friends who make beautiful things!)
5) I already had my first summer vacation to San Juan Island, Washington to celebrate my daughter’s college graduation–we were a group of 14 and it was quite epic. I’m still not sure what’s next. I have Italy, France and Greece on the brain…..maybe Sicily early September? I’ve never been.
6) I put many of my summer beauty musts in a recent post, but my new favorite product is the MBR Enzyme Cleansing Booster that Cayli Cavaco Reck of Knockout Beauty recommended. My skin still breaks out and I use it in the shower on my face after I run in the morning to get the sweat and sunscreen off. It’s expensive but it works. I follow that up with an Environ Youth EssenciA C-quence Serum and Antioxidant Defense Cream also from Knockout.
7) I was lucky enough to squeeze in two bag collaborations for my Flair Summer shop–the Morgan sisal day bag with Heidi Wynne and the embroidered Bolsa del Sol pouch with Kendall Conrad. I use the pouch for the beach, because I like being organized and having bags in a beach bag, and the straw bag for every day.
8) I’m still a LDB girl at night in the summer (and often during the day). This bias cut slip dress by Daryl K. is so flattering on everyone (I sold them to women of every age and body shape at my recent trunk shows). Then I like to pile on my Dezso charms, a pair of flat sandals and and old Levi’s denim jacket if it’s cool.
9) I rarely wear heels in the summer and splurge on flat sandals when I find a standout pair. I have ones from Alaia, Celine, The Row, Valentino….I keep them for years and still wear them. My blingiest pair I custom ordered at Da Constanzo in Capri (where Jackie would order hers) over a decade ago. Sometimes you want over-the-top!
10) Summer eating revolves around what I can find at the local farmer’s market. I love to make nicoise salads, lemon zucchini pasta and when I entertain dessert is blackberry cobbler a la mode (I am from the South.)
11) I have some favorite summer books that I return to again and again, because they put me in a languid, warm weather mood. Two of my favorites are The House in France by Gully Wells–a memoir of her years growing up and summers spent in the South of France, The Greek House by Christian Brechnoff–also a memoir of this painter’s decades-long love affair with the island of Sifnos, and Bonjour Tristesse by Francoise Sagan, which is a classic (and you should see the movie with Jean Seberg if you haven’t). Right now, I am finishing up The Talented Mr. Ripley by Patricia Highsmith, which is as brilliant as the movie. And there are other Tom Ripley novels, maybe I need to go down that rabbit hole. For a dose of summer style inspiration I revisit Un Mito nel Mito: Jacqueline a Capri, a book created by photographer Settimio Garritano, whom Jackie O. let photograph her on her visit to Capri.
Wishing you all a happy summer! xx J
all portraits, Paul Westlake; makeup Clelio Bergonzoli