My dream home is filled with the reworked mid-century modern furniture, art and objets from the sisters behind Forsyth, based in St. Louis, Missouri. They have impeccable taste and a viewpoint that is minimalist at its core, but updated in a way that is joyous, elegant, and slightly quirky. You can imagine my excitement when they chose to include my jewelry, which just launched, on their curated site; I can’t imagine a better partnership. They also agreed to share their summer essentials on TFI, which is even better because it’s a two-for-one. (I’ve mentioned this before, but if you haven’t signed up for their newsletter, do so; their Saturday Marnin’ Cartoons email is pure weekend happiness.) So without further ado….
1. My Summer uniform. I recently purchased the Kule tennis skirt and it’s bringing back memories of working at a tennis camp at a country club every summer from the end of high school through a few years of college. Another great one is by Alex Eagle. Classic summer country club whites. On the daily, I live in Nagnata biker shorts, button ups (I love Chava Studio), tank tops, New Balance 990s. We are constantly moving furniture around our warehouse. I need to be comfortable and easily move around. I could live in Nagnata all day, every day, all year. When I need to upgrade the everyday uniform, I grab a white Doen blouse, Bode button up, or Attersee striped pop-over and Khaite Jeans. Usually paired with black Havianas. Simple.
2. Summer = wedding season. The perfect gift? A vinyl painting by John O’Hara [a Forsyth co-founder] with the couple’s wedding song.
3. A basket or canvas tote. I have been carrying The Hunting Season large basket tote around lately. This guy holds a ton. I also love Kule’s duck canvas totes. I have the Take Out one and it’s my farm bag every weekend. Love it.
4. Fresh flowers. I love this new vase we have at Forsyth. We commissioned it by ceramicist, Rachel Saunders, and it’s my favorite color blue.
5. Mushrooms everywhere! Our Forsyth mushrooms are so popular right now and we just did one in Josef Frank’s Gröna Fåglar or Green Birds that screams summer. It’s so fun. I love it so much.
6. Summer weekends at the Farm. My parents live 45 minutes outside Saint Louis in the country. Horses, dogs, pond fishin, creek walkin, pool dippin. And now, it’s Nico’s first farm summer! My new baby niece.
7. Classic movies. Sabrina (new AND old version), To Catch A Thief, Rear Window, Roman Holiday, Funny Face, and Houseboat (presto presto do your very besto!) on repeat. These always put me in a summer mood.
8. When the toms are ripe, my favorite summer recipe is from Grandma Geno. It’s really simple and can be eaten alone, as a side, or piled onto chicken, fish, steak, etc. Chopped tomatoes, a bundle of mint chopped fine, garlic chopped, good olive oil. Shut it down. “It’s got a good taste,” ~ Stella Genovese.
9. My summer beauty routine is nothing but lip balm, mascara, and a spritz of scent. I love a fancy lip balm and have a special, zippered leather pouch in the shape of a fish in my tote that is nothing but lip balms. It’s an addiction. My favorite right now is La Bouche Rouge. For mascara, I love the Jones Road one. It’s VERY good. I recently got a sample of Chanel Les Exclusifs Gardenia and it is climbing the charts to be the scent of the summer. But I am indecisive so it will probably change.
10. I adore the JA Mariner chains and JJ Memento pendants but currently, the Baby Bullseye Diamond necklace, is what I am eye-balling. I wear two necklaces 24-7–a gold chain with an Egyptian cartouche my mom got in Cairo in the 70s when she was engaged to my Dad, the cartouche says my Dad’s name, and a small gold heart my Grandpa gave to my Grandma when they got engaged. Their engagement date is engraved on the back. I am single but this is me putting it out into the universe that whenever I get engaged, I want my future man to get me a necklace celebrating the engagement in some way. Then I want to wear all three together 24-7. In the meantime, the baby bullseye diamond necklace is going to save the spot! Ha!
1. I just had a baby girl in April and I previously wasn’t into the hype of Hill House Home’s Nap Dress, but I bought a couple for summertime and they have been the perfect postpartum outfit. Easy to nurse in, throw-on and look cute. I even sleep in them!
2. After 9 months sans cocktails, my first drink I wanted was my ultimate fave. Ron Zacapa on ice in a thick tumbler with a lime twist. Rummin’ all Summer.
3. I love the Forsyth Flora rug so much, I put it in my baby’s room. It’s so comfortable and chic, the colors are beautiful. It can live in there forever.
4. My go-to everyday moisturizer is Tata Harper Creme Riche. It’s billed as a night cream, but I slather it up morning, noon, and night.
6. I love the Stockholm-based Sachajuan’s hair care line. We live in Saint Louis with no beach in sight. This styling spray gives major beach vibes.
7. I’m growing eggplant in my garden this Summer. I like making vegan breaded eggplant cutlets. Instead of using eggs when dredging, you use the juice from a can of chickpeas. It’s from a recipe by Jessica Seinfeld. Top with tomatoes, basil, arugula, a lil lemon and a side of pasta. Maybe add some grilled shrimp to the pasta.
8. I love a platform. These sandals by Simon Miller are gonna get a lot of wear this summer.
9. I’m a huge ruby fan and love the simplicity of the Alfano pieces. My favorite is The Bullseye Pendant in Ruby.
10. Our Dad worked in Hong Kong and taught us the basics of Mah Jong. I bought a set over the winter and I am determined to master it this Summer.